If you are looking for a good bedding option for your bearded dragon, then this article is for you.
Bearded dragons live in terrariums and their basement should be lined with a material that is beardie-friendly.
Substances like barks, sand, newspapers, reptile carpets, will act as good bedding substrates.
While choosing bedding for reptiles, one must be very careful as the bed should be delicate and comfortable.
Choosing sand or small pebble linings might be eaten by beardies which can cause impaction which is fatal and deadly.
So one must choose good bedding to keep the reptiles safe and healthy for the long run.
Here is a list of terrarium bedding available on Amazon that you can get for your bearded dragons.
#1 Hamiledyi Reptile Carpet Natural Coconut Fiber reptile mat
This reptile mat is from Hamiledyi brand and is made of 100% natural coco fiber. It doesn’t have shed dust and easy to clean.
The material is absorbent and non-abrasive. Hence it is easy to maintain for newbies who are into growing reptiles.
To clean this, you will have to run this under tap water and you can easily reuse after drying.
The upper layer is treated with a biodegradable enzyme so that there won’t be any reptile odors while using.
It comes as a pack of two and you can cut this into pieces that fit your tank well.
It is available in other attractive colors as well.
Every user has reported that this product is very useful and their reptiles like this a lot.
- Easy to assemble and clean. No prepping needed.
- Mess-free and odor-free experience.
- Highly cost-effective as you are getting two pieces for this low price.
- Few users have reported that their baby bearded dragons nails get caught in sometimes.
#2 Tfwadmx Reptile Carpet Mat Substrate Liner Bedding Reptile Supplies for Terrarium
This is another wonderful product from a popular pet supplies brand TDWADMX. It is strong, washable and reusable.
This is easy to clean. You just have to roll it down and shake them off to remove loose materials.
It is made of high-density tech fiber material. The material is non-toxic, tasteless and odorless.
By providing safe bedding options, you can keep your terrarium free from earthly substances like soil, leaves, stones, etc.
These little substances can especially cause bacterial infections to your pets.
Mat is moisture retardant and very thick and plushy.
The liner material is very soft and this will feel good on your bearded dragon’s feet.
- Fast shipping from Amazon
- The mat comes in a very larger size that it is easy to customize to any terrarium’s size by cutting.
- Easy to clean within minutes.
- Material is very big and sometimes scraped materials would be left unused and wasted.
#3 POPETPOP Reptile Carpet Coconut Fiber Reptiles Bedding
You can choose this coconut fiber reptile bedding from Popetpop to establish a safe living habitat for your reptiles.
This mat is made of organic coconut shreds. It is durable, compact and permeable.
Together this makes a good and safe bedding for your reptiles.
Since this is coir fiber, it is breathable and soft and your pets would definitely love this.
It will protect reptiles from dirt, dampness, moisture, and dust and creates a safe space away from harmful substances.
To clean this, wash this in tap water and dry it in a ventilated space. Once dried, you can simply reuse this.
Few mats lose their structure after age. Since natural latex is used here, it holds it in shape for years.
Apart from bearded dragons, this can be also used as a flooring option for iguana, turtle, snake, lizard, Chamelon, etc.
- Breathable and soft coir material.
- Reliable customer service from the brand.
- Harmless odor occurs in the mat since it is made of natural particles.
#4 Reptile Mat – Chew–Safe and Paw-Friendly Reptile Bed – Terrarium Bed- Sungrow
Here is another coconut fiber reptile mat from Sungrow brand. It is made of stiff and coarse fiber (coir).
It doesn’t have sharp edges which sometimes can hurt reptiles. The material is also soft and comfortable for pet’s skin.
To prolong the lifespan of the mat, they advise to clean it with water and soap solution.
For regular cleaning, you can remove off the debris and wipe it with water. It will eventually get dried.
Another wonderful advantage of this mat is, it is chewing friendly.
Reptiles tend to bite the mats sometimes. If they are made of harsh, synthetic materials it will harm them badly.
- Mat retains a natural fragrance that would be there forever as long as they are used.
- Cheaper in price.
- Material is little cushioned hence the bedding won’t be rough.
- Size is small compared to other natural coir mats which will make this unfit for larger tanks.
#5 Zilla Reptile Terrarium Bedding Substrate Liner
Zilla is one of the certified pet keeping companies in the United States and this is one of the amazing products of it.
This mat is available in multiple sizes from 10 Gallon to 150 gallons.
This is an extremely low maintenance bedding that can just be shaken off to remove the pet poop.
You can also clean the mat with cold water from the tap and can be hang dried.
The material is absorbent and non-abrasive and it doesn’t cause irritation on sensitive skin of reptiles.
The mat is treated with enzymes to reduce any reptile order in tanks and many customers have mentioned that too.
Mat is double-sided. So you can use it on one side, then flip it to another side after dusting.
- Odor-free, inexpensive mat.
- Little toes of reptiles don’t get stuck in the mat.
- Sizing is the problem as many users have reported that this doesn’t fit their tanks.
#6 ZSIIBO Reptiles Carpet Mat Substrate Liner
This mat from ZSIIBO brand is made of coconut fiber and processed to retain moisture and smell for a long time.
It is non-abrasive and soft and doesn’t irritate when pets crawl over them.
Choosing organic bedding sometimes can make the tank dustier. With this mat, you won’t be facing that issue.
It is easy to clean the reptile wastes as well. You can just wash it with water and hang them to dry.
It holds the heat well and keeps the moisture intact as well. It also smells great for a long time.
Mat comes as a large piece and can be cut into a size that we need to fit our tank.
You don’t have to clean the entire area but a smaller region of the mat where waste is kept by taking it out.
- Mess-free cleaning experience and controlled odor.
- There aren’t any.
#7 WATFOON Reptile Bedding Mat
This reptile bedding mat is made of high tech fiber material that the top layer exactly resembles the grass floor.
Its appearance gives reptiles a more natural feel and they enjoy crawling over this. It is made of eco-friendly, safe substances.
It doesn’t have actual soil in it which might harm bearded dragons but it simulates the jungle-like experience.
You can easily clean this and this absorbs water also. The upper surface is very soft and non-irritating.
The material is highly absorbing and it has one-second penetration. It also keeps the mat moisturized.
It can be used for any type of insects and reptiles like snakes, chameleons, turtle, etc.
The size of the mat is 12*20 inches. You can cut this to the size you need for your terrarium.
- Mat has a cool and Colorful appearance.
- Good absorption capacity.
- Smaller in size than the one given in description which is mentioned by few users.
#8 TFWADMX Reptile Carpet Terrarium Bedding Substrate Liner
This is another bedding liner from TFWADMX brand. This brand is specialized in making reptile pet supplies products.
The size is 16*24 inches and it comes as 2 pieces. The material is durable, washable and reusable.
The mat dries very quickly than others. It has to be washed in tap water and hung outside.
In order to prevent nails of the reptiles from getting stuck into a mat, the upper layer is soft.
Whereas the lower layer is a hard bottom in order to provide solid support.
The brand mentions that the mat will suit a 15-20 gallon tank. Small animals would lie in comfortably.
The mat can be kept in a dry condition as well as in moisturized condition too by sprinkling water above.
Since it has two bedding, one can be used when another one is out for washing and drying.
- Soft-structured mat which will keep the reptiles warm and cozy.
- Product available at cheaper price than from local stores.
- As the mat is very soft from the upper side, there is a chance that the reptiles can go down.
#9 Emours Moisturizing Reptile Carpet Fiber Pet Mat
Let’s see another reptile bedding that is made of high-density tech fiber material. The brand name is Emours.
It has good water-absorbing capacity, retains humidity and has thermal insulation properties. It is also flame retardant.
The material that has been used to make this is non-toxic and environment-friendly.
This all makes this a safe and reliable bedding option for your bearded dragons and induces safe living habitat.
It is available in two sizes. Small and large options. You can customize it as per your requirements.
People have mentioned that their beardies are very happy with the mat and played happily with it.
- Excellent customer service.
- Thinner structure.
- Bearded dragons have claws and it might get stuck in this mat which is mentioned by few users.
#10 Zoo Med Eco Cage Carpet for 55 Gallon Tanks
This is an eco-friendly product made from recycled plastic bottles manufactured by Zoo Med brand.
It is green in color and simulates a grass-like structure to make your cage colorful and wild.
Its size is 55 gallons and you can choose this either as two packs or three packs or four packs.
Since you get this in multiple numbers for a very cheaper price, this is extremely budget-friendly.
The material is very rigid and untearable so that the bearded dragons don’t eat this by accident.
This should be noted while choosing a reptile mat that is not organic, as consumption of such materials causes impactions.
Reptile mat is easy to wash and clean and hygienic as well as it doesn’t let the dust stay.
- With this mat, cleaning is an easy task
- Ultra-soft material that doesn’t feel like a recycled product.
- It doesn’t fit 55 gallons as instructed in the pack in some cases.
#11 BLSMU Reptile Carpet,Coconut Fiber Substrate
This reptile carpet is made of natural coco fiber and it is available in the sizing of 35” and 15”.
The size is very large and it can be cut into the size the fits the tank.
Coco fiber material is very soft and helps to create the real habitat. It also suits other reptiles and insects.
It keeps the reptiles away from dirt, moisture, and scratches. Coconut shreds protect the reptile’s skin from decaying.
It also protects their limbs and let them move easily enjoying the natural surface of the mat.
To remove the dirt and wastes, one can simply hose it down and wash it in water.
Reptile mat’s material has good water permeability, filtration capacity, breathability and good resilience which means an increased lifespan.
The use of natural latex strengthens the coir and doesn’t get it deformed soon.
- Gives claws protection. They don’t get stuck into the coir of the mat.
- Durable and long-lasting
- Material is eco-friendly and tasteless. So pets won’t bite and eat this.
- Cannot be used in higher humidity ranges.
#12 Exo Terra Sand Mat
This sand mat is from Exo terra brand and it gives your terrarium a desert-like feel with its substrate.
The mat is of premium quality and both the sand and pebble doesn’t come off so easily while using.
It is easy to use just like a regular reptile mat and can be easily cleaned with a hand broom.
Once dusted, you can wash it, drain it and hang it to dry.
This is one of the most hygienic bedding options as it is exactly the replica of desert sand.
There won’t be the issues of bacterial build-up issues too. With firm, sturdy material, it gives a good grip to reptiles.
The material is pretty large (19.4 inches long) and it can fit any type of terrariums and tanks.
The brand has given the assurance that this mat will not cause the bearded dragons to get impacted.
- Natural and sand-like material keeps the reptiles safe and comforted.
- Easy to maintain and clean and gives a finished look to the terrarium.
- When you receive the product for the first time, you might get encountered with lots of muddle and small pebbles.
- Many users fear that the little pebbles present here might get swallowed by bearded dragons even if they are strongly placed.
#13 Zilla Ground English Walnut Shells Desert Blend
This one from Zilla is actually a sand-like substrate that is made of powdered walnut shells.
You can layer your bedding of terrarium with this fine powder and this creates a desert-like feel for the reptiles.
But the brand doesn’t recommend this for baby and young bearded dragons as the particles can cause impactions.
The brand assures that this won’t scratch glass or coat the pets with dust-like sand does.
Cleaning the litter is also easy with this one as it covers the litter with their fine particles.
- This powder is an excellent heat conductor.
- It encourages and stimulates their natural burrowing behavior.
- Wastage material from the terrarium can be composted and added to the compost pit.
- Impaction has been caused in a few cases which are reported by a few users.
How to choose a perfect bedding option for my bearded dragon or any reptile pets?
A good bedding substrate must fulfill all the above qualities or at least most of them.
- First and foremost, it should be dust-free. Beardies might eat them and get indigested which can impact their health badly.
- It should be large enough to fit your terrarium perfectly. Check the dimensions before choosing a product.
- The upper layer must be soft, firm and comfortable. Few mats are treated with chemicals that can cause allergies to pets.
- It should also absorb moisture and should not contain any odor.
- Check the material it is made of. In most cases, it will be coconut fiber or synthetic fiber.
- It’d be easy to maintain and clean that. It must keep the reptiles away from bacteria, dirt, etc.
- It shouldn’t have its own taste as beardies might start chewing them.
By choosing a good reptile mat, we are giving our pets their real habitat.
Keeping the above points in mind will help you in choosing the right one.
Why bedding is needed?
- To make the reptiles feel at home, we are bedding the terrarium with natural substrates or their replicas.
- It will also help us while cleaning the terrarium. You can pick the mat up, dust it off and lay it down.
- It collects their feces as well and helps us clean them without the mess and also keeps the place anti-bacterial.
- It will also give the perfect look the terrarium needs and keep our reptiles warm, safe and comfortable.
Can I go for natural bedding like sand, paper?
- You can but expert reptile pet owners don’t suggest this solution.
- Sand will have small particles or pebbles which beardies might eat when they run behind insects.
- Such things won’t be digested by their body and it also won’t come out in feces.
- This is very fatal and if not treated immediately it might even cause death.
- Using old newspapers don’t give a desert-like look but can be used as a backup or temporary solution.
Which is better? Natural fiber or artificial?
As always, natural coconut fibers are the best option in both the worlds and eco-friendly too.
It doesn’t need many materials to be manufactured and is not processed as well.
This has a natural aroma that would be there in your terrariums for a really long time.
Cleaning up is also easy here and but absorption capacity is comparatively lesser than synthetic fibers.
Pricing is also less when you choose coconut fiber reptile mats. They can be obtained in bulk and stored too.
But synthetic fibers have a good lifespan and easy to maintain.
Coconut shreds sometimes can be thinly built and as a result, claws of beardies can get stuck in there.
This, as a result, will also tear up the mat and hurt the bearded dragon and cause discomfort to them.
Overall, coconut fibers are the best option that you can go for as it can benefit you in many ways.
Just like us, our reptile pets deserve a warm and comfortable space to lie around and live.
Bedding is the most integral part of the terrarium that provides them that warmth and safety.
Even if we can’t build an exact desert-like structure for them in there, by choosing the right bedding we can give them their own habitat.
This just doesn’t make them feel comfortable, but also takes care of their hygiene and well-being and maintains their health.
We sincerely hope that we have thrown light on this aspect that needs to be considered by every reptile-pet owner.