Bearded dragons or pogonas are the warmest and amicable reptiles that can be grown as pets at home.
Due to their mild temperament and relaxed behavior, these are lizards that anyone would prefer to be in their terrariums.
These Australian species need warm and hot space to survive and investing in light and glass tank is essential.
They also need a particular ray from UV rays to produce vitamin D3 in order to absorb calcium.
They need constant light and heat source. Otherwise they are likely to develop health issues bone diseases.
Let’s see a list of 15 best UV light sources that can be installed in your terrariums and reptile tanks.
Our Top Picks of Best UVB Light for bearded dragons
Exo Terra Repti-glo 10.0 Compact Fluorescent Desert Terrarium Lamp
This compact lamp from Exo terra is ideal for all desert based species. Gives ultra high UVB output 20” wide.
They provide desert like environment for reptiles by giving high intensity UV light and heat.
The brand has recommended using the product within dense curtain or sheets as they filter out upto 50% of UVrays.
Compared to other brands available in the market, this one is cheap and works efficiently for a medium sized tank.
Users have reported that after changing to this brand, they could notice their beardies getting strong and recover from diseases.
You can change the lamp once in a year as they last long and use another light bulb if the tank is slightly big.
- It is Cheap and long-lasting.
- Provides desert like heated environment.
- Light source is comparatively less effective.
Repti Zoo 125w Reptile Heat Lamp
This 125W bulb sold by Repti Zoo, provides UVB, UVA and high quality visible light and heat.
You can use this for all kinds of reptiles and amphibian pets. It provides light in the form of natural sunlight.
This lamp is highly intense as it is 125W which can nurture bearded dragons even placed in big tanks.
The retailer responses well for queries related to product in their Amazon product page and help them resolve their issues.
The sunlight comes from this helps the pets in photosynthesis and have a healthy metabolism and rules out bone disorders.
- Since it is 125W, it is pretty powerful and of high intensity.
- Good customer service.
- Few users have reported that the battery life of the product is short.
- It doesn’t come with stand to install this in tank.
Evergreen Pet Supplies 100 Watt Mercury Vapor Bulb
Another compatible 100W bulb that is powerful enough to lighten your terrariums, cages, vivariums etc which provides UVA, UVB.
Ideal to use for bearded dragons, turtles and snakes, this doesn’t emit harmful UVC rays like few brand lights.
Every lamp is tested in lab to ensure proper working condition of them and its said to have extended lifespan.
Their support team functions exceptionally by offering 24/7 services and has good return and replacement services.
The light source is almost like daylight that provides the beardies both warmth and vitamin supply that helps them thrive.
Before trying on any kind of mercury lamps, it is necessary to find out the ideal distance range between the lamp and reptile.
- Impressive customer service that almost every customer has talked high of in comment section.
- Good packaging while transit.
- Fragile design that has to be handled with care.
- Little expensive for its range.
Zoo Med Reptisun 10.0 Uvb T5 Ho Lamp
This 24 watts UVA light is manufactured by Zoo Med that delivers high output fluorescent light at lower heat.
This fluorescent linear tube is categorized under T5 based on the diameter of it. HO means high output.
So this delivers bright and high intensity light than normal T5 lights. There are T8 and T12 sizes available too.
T5 lights are energy efficient so this won’t shoot up your electricity bill. They are easy to install as well.
The size of the product is 22” which will suit larger terrariums. They also have 24”, 26” and 36” available.
Since this produces low heat, kindly use another heating source to keep your reptiles warm, probably another UVA lamp.
This tubular type lamps are well suited for long reptiles like bearded dragons, snakes etc.
Users have happily mentioned that this product has made their pets active and helped them to reproduce better.
- Product is available at its best price for its output range.
- Better efficiency as well as energy saving.
- Amount of heat produced through this is very less.
Zoo Med Reptisun 10.0 Uvb Mini Compact Fluorescent Lamp
Here we see another awesome product from Zoo Med brand that is preferred and recommended by many bearded dragon owners.
Another point that must be noted before jumping into review is, it doesn’t provide enough heat needed.
Try installing another basking light for light purposes.
Available in compact size, this is light in weight and can be easily installed in any terrariums without much effort.
For maximum UVB penetration, this product uses special transmitting quartz glass. Bulb can be placed both vertically and horizontally.
This comes as a pack of two and provides 10% UVB and 30% UVA spectrum.
- For 13W, this is more powerful than any mini compact bulbs available out there.
- Strongly built and doesn’t break or crack.
- Packaging is not done in proper manner while shipping.
- Few users have reported that bulbs are burning out quickly.
Hagen Exo Terra Uvb 200 Intense Compact Fluorescent Lamp
This 13W compact fluorescent lamp from popular pet supplies brand Hagen yields maximum amount of UVB output.
It suits well for reptiles that have high UV requirements. Your bearded dragon would be very happy with your choice.
It is 13W that is ideal for desert set ups and larger terrariums.
This UVB200 emits UVB in perfect amounts that are needed by reptiles for vitamin D3 synthesis.
The specific quality of this product is, it offers extended UVB penetration that works well with terrariums with dense screen.
Hagen’s website has other terrarium related products, supplements and tools as well that is sold at affordable price range.
They also share many insights through useful articles and links.
- Long lasting battery and small compact size.
- Improved quality that has been mentioned by many users.
- Bulb doesn’t show any sign before it goes off.
- Amazon doesn’t ship this product internationally (outside US).
Zacro Reptile Heat Lamp 150w
This elegant, high-end reptile lamp product comes as an excellent heating source. This doesn’t emit light or radiations like UVB.
This provides the essential warmth and heat every desert reptiles need and can be used even for the whole day.
It can be even used with birds, hamsters and amphibians.
The bottom of the lamp is flat surfaced so that its more efficient and longer lasting than conical shaped ones.
Since this is non-luminous (doesn’t produce light), its thermal efficiency is high and animals sleep won’t be disturbed too.
It comes with added thermometer that you can use to monitor the temperature of the light.
Power is 150W and it comes with battery as well. It has to be paired with E27 ceramic socket only.
- Excellent customer service. Immediate replacement if product is faulty.
- Low maintenance.
- No assembling is needed.
- This has to be matched with ceramic E27 socket only. Connecting with plastic socket might melt the holder.
- To regulate the temperature, another temperature controller is needed.
Fluker’s 27002 Repta-clamp Lamp with Switch for Reptiles
This is a 5.5inches, 75 watts bulb can be used for heat and light source for reptiles and amphibians.
Many users have mentioned in comments section that their bearded dragons were happy with this light source and played cheerfully.
They also have this in two more sizes, 8.5” and 10” and the power output also differs based on that.
This is made of heavy gauge painted aluminum; this is an ideal basking light for reptiles.
This portable lamp has polarized plug to reduce the risk of electric shock while handling it.
It has safety clamp and can be easily attached to the rim of the terrarium.
It doesn’t emit radiation though. They do have other range of UVB light products available in their website.
Just like the previous one, this needs to be used with ceramic socket not plastic or aluminum ones.
- It has convenient ON/OFF switch.
- Compact in size.
- It doesn’t come with instructions manual.
Exo Terra Repti-glo 2.0 Compact Fluorescent
Another amazing product from Exo Terra brand that provides high visual light output with desired UVA radiation.
The spectrum of the radiation is ideal for all amphibians and reptiles that stimulate appetite, reproductory behavior of pets.
This is a 13W bulb and they recommend using it with Repti Glo 5.0 or 10.0 which are other variants.
They have multiple products that emit different range of UVB output and this one emits 2% of UVB
Repti Glo 10.0 emits 10% of UVB output which is sufficient enough for larger terrariums.
This product has higher range of visual light output and very high color rendering index that makes it a perfect day light option.
- Cost efficient and powerful day light output.
- Lower UVB radiation emitted that makes it not suitable for terrariums with denser screens.
Lucky Herp 10.0 Uvb Fluorescent Desert Terrarium Lamp
This 13 watts fluorescent desert lamp from Lucky Herp brand gives a good amount of UVB penetration.
It is compact in size and consumes less power.
This is ideal for baby bearded dragons that are struggling to grow. This helps to absorb calcium in faster rates.
It emits 10.0 of UVB which is perfect for cold-blooded desert reptiles. Daylight emitted from it helps the species grow.
It keeps them warm during day time and create desert like environment in terrariums.
The brand has recommended us to use daylight or reptile vision in addition to get optimum light output for pets.
Many users have attached videos showing how to install this light in terrariums in its Amazon page.
- Best product and quality light output for its price.
- Free shipping facility within US in Amazon.
- Product is not strong enough and slightly fragile.
- Doesn’t last long.
AMZCOOL Uvb and Uva Reptile Heat Lamp Bulb
This is one of the best UVB lamps available in the market that offers bright natural sunlight and UVA, UVB.
It is 100W bulb sold by Amzcool brand that is very much suitable for reptiles who needs basking and UV.
They are giving one year lamp guaranty as well and this is also available in 160W power range.
This is suitable for E26 socket fixtures and they have requested to use the bulb vertically in terrariums.
The lamp has been designed in such a way that it eliminates hot-spots that is very prevalent in other brands.
Kindly wait for 5 minutes before turning on the light after switching it off. They do not recommend immediate restarting.
This lamp is carefully designed to yield maximum thermal efficiency by withdrawing minimal amount of energy thus, energy saving.
- Light emitted exactly replicates daylight.
- Stylish design.
- Doesn’t emit dangerous UVC.
- Doesn’t mention how much UVA and UVB it is letting out.
VIVOSUN Reptile Heat Lamp Bulb
Vivosun manufactures this Mercury vapor self ballasted reptile heat lamp that suits bearded dragons, snakes and amphibians well.
The bulb is made of special glass with high pressure mercury lamp liner and tungsten filament.
Tungsten filament emits infrared rays and mercury vapor emits UV rays. That is UVA and UVB in desired quantities.
It is 125 Watts and lifespan is 13000hours which is quiet high for its price.
The brand itself suggests to use a strong source for heating as the light emitted is Cold light.
It needs E26 lamp holder/socket to install and doesn’t need ballast as the lamp is designed in such a way.
Users have mentioned that they are satisfied with the radiation emission of this bulb as it keeps their beardies healthy.
- Robust design.
- Easy to install and assemble.
- Good customer service with easy return and refund policies.
- The light would be dim for 15 minutes when you switch it ON.
- Doesn’t heat the terrarium. Alternative heating lamp needed.
Coralife Zilla Reptile Lighting Fixture with Uvb Lamp
This is a 25 Watt, T8 UVB lamp by Zilla brand. It comes with a fixture as well.
This is a low-light and no heat lamp but it emits 8% of UVB which is perfect for bearded dragons.
You will have to get another bright light in order to provide light and heat to beardies.
Since it comes with fixtures, it can be mounted on wall or top of terrarium. It is energy saving too.
The lamp material is ultra economical fluorescent strip lights where the outer material is plastic housing.
- The design is slim and sleek
- International shipping available
- Easily breakable construction.
Heawell 75w Uva + Uvb Full Spectrum Sun Lamp
This full spectrum lamp is from Heawell brand. It emits enormous amount of UVA and reasonable amount of UVB radiation.
98% of UVA and 2% of UVB is emitted through this lamp and it suits every desert reptile and amphibians.
Lifetime of the lamp is 1500 hours. The brand takes full responsibility to replace them if they don’t last long.
Lamp has to be handled carefully. Switch off the power supply before taking it off.
Give some cooling time as it might extend the lamp service life.
- Excellent customer service with good replacement policy.
- Also has heating element. Hence doesn’t need another bulb.
- Lamps are fragile and have to be handled carefully.
- UVB emission is less. Hence product cannot be chosen if pet is ill and needs nourishment.
Aiicioo Mercury Vapor Bulb Reptile Bulbs
This is a 100W mercury vapor bulb that provides high intensity light and heat along with UV.
The product page in Amazon is filled with reviews given by happy customers. Apparently the product seems to be working great for beardies too.
It fulfills every lighting need of a pet owner and acts as a good lighting and heating source too.
Cooling time of around 15-20 minutes is needed before restarting to prolong the lifespan of the lamp.
- No ballast needed. It can screw themselves into a standard clamp lamp fixture.
- Lamp emits bright light just like daylight.
- Need to replace quiet sooner.
Things to Be Noted down Before Choosing the Ideal Lamp:
- Check the power range of the bulb. Higher range can be more efficient and bright but won’t be eco –friendly and pocket-friendly.
- Please check if they provide instructions on how to assemble, fix the lamp and notice their specifications as well.
- Check if that lamp is suitable for the pet you are growing. Brands are very open about this and they mention it straight away in their site.
- For bearded dragons that are always used to desert atmosphere, good daylight and UVA, UVB is indispensable.
- So choose your lamp that emits considerable amount of ultraviolet and infrared radiations and also is bright enough.
Few Faqs about Bearded Dragons Lighting System
Why Do My Bearded Dragons Need Uv Radiations?
- Since they always live in desert regions, they would receive abundant amount of sunlight without interruption.
- Hence their bodies are naturally designed to accept UV rays and adapt their metabolism based on that.
- Just like how we can’t survive without food and nutrition, bearded dragons will fall ill and won’t survive without UVB lights.
- They need UVA to have good appetite, metabolism rate and food digestion.
- And UVB helps in vitamin D3 production which helps them absorb calcium more. It prevents bone diseases in them.
- UVC is highly dangerous that lamps should not release.
Should the Light Be Turned on for the Whole Day?
- The answer is No. The ideal recommended time for basking and UVB penetration is 12 hours.
- You can turn off the UVB light during night and have a no-light heat lamp turned on during night.
- Night time heater is only needed if the temperature is very low.
- Before giving the morning feed, you can turn the UVB lights ON.
What Is the Amount of Uvb That My Bearded Dragon Should Receive?
- It should receive 8 – 10% of UVB radiation from the lamp. This will vary based on its age.
- Kindly check how much UVB and UVA your lamp is emitting before buying the lamp.
Ideal Positioning of the Lamp
- Light should be placed at 6” to 10” from the basking spot of the reptile.
How and Where to Install?
- Most of the terrariums come with fixtures at the top where lamp can be installed.
- Or set up wire mesh at the top of the terrarium.
- If it is a full spectrum bulb, ballast would be needed to hang them.
- Vertical/horizontal placement is based the type of the lamp. Check the package for this.
Bearded dragons make such a cute and friendly pets and having them at home can melt down your stress.
At the same time, caring for them is also equally important.
Their first and foremost need is the best food and lighting with UV. If their needs are meet, they will be happy and healthy.
Investing in lamps that offer all in one can be quiet confusing.
Fret not; as we have curated everything you need to know along with best 15 brands in this article.
Finally, choose the brand that offers best value for money and neat customer service.
Links of the products: